? Launch of video messages from CEO Christophe Weber and External Director Masahiro Sakane
Osaka, Japan, November 12, 2018 --- Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited (“Takeda”) (TSE:4502) today announced the launch of video messages from Representative Director, President & Chief Executive Officer Christophe Weber, as well as External Director and Chair of the Board Meeting Masahiro Sakane. Video messages articulate the strategic rationale, decision-making process, financial outlook, and the post-close plans for Takeda with regard to the proposed acquisition of Shire plc (“Shire”) announced on May 8, 2018.
Three videos have been launched – the full version (26:00), the summary version of the CEO message (5:32), and the abstract version of the message from Mr. Sakane (9:28).
CEO message outline
- Our vision is to become a global, R&D-driven, biopharmaceutical leader, driven by our values of Takeda-ism and always putting the patient at the center
- The Shire acquisition enables us to invest more than 400 billion yen in R&D, while enabling us to be a global pharmaceutical industry Top Ten company by revenue
- The acquisition of the highly profitable Shire boosts our earnings per share, which will support our intention to maintain our annual dividend policy of 180 yen per share
- The post-close leadership team is extremely international and diverse, but our headquarters will remain in Japan with no room for discussion
Chair of the Board Meeting message outline
- I strongly believe that in order for a company to be globally competitive, it must have industry-leading capabilities and a strong foothold in important markets
- We will be less competitive without the Shire acquisition in terms of creating long-term value for patients and our shareholders
- From early on in the process, the Board met many times to discuss the benefits and risks of the Shire acquisition; key risk factors were related to the financial markets, the business, and the integration
- We are confident that this is the right move for Takeda to be truly globally competitive for years to come
Video messages are available here.
Takeda is confident that the acquisition of Shire will enable us to significantly accelerate our transformational journey to become a global, R&D-driven, biopharmaceutical leader headquartered in Japan. What will remain unchanged in this journey is our commitment to Takeda’s values (i.e., Takeda-ism). Takeda will always put the patient at the center, build trust with society, reinforce our reputation, and deliver superior business performance, in that order.